Healthy eating and drinking is important, for your body and for your mind. But why?
Why is healthy eating and drinking important?
Your body obtains building blocks from food and drink. If you eat healthy, you get nutrients you need to grow. Healthy nutrients also prevent certain diseases, such as diabetes. In addition, healthy eating makes it easier to stay at a healthy weight.
What is healthy food and drink?
How do you eat and drink healthy? A tool for healthy eating is the ‘Schijf van Vijf’ (Five-Fold Set). This tells you exactly what is good for your age and weight. Try to eat something from the ‘Schijf van Vijf’ at every meal.
Other tips for healthy eating and drinking
- Eat as many different products as possible. That way you get all the nutrients.
- Eat fruit and vegetables every day.
- Eat little saturated fat. Saturated fat is found in many animal products, such as cheese, sausages, fatty meat and whole milk products.
- Drink enough: about one and a half liters of fluids per day.
- Drink as little as possible soft drinks, yogurt or energy drinks. They often contain a lot of sugar.
Tips for regular and good food and drink
It is not only what you eat that is important. When you eat is also important.
- Always have breakfast.
- Eat at fixed times as much as possible.
- Do not skip a meal: have breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Eat something healthy between meals 1 to 4 times a day.
- Why is fatty and sweet food unhealthy?
Fatty and sweet products contain a lot of sugars and energy (calories), but few nutrients. Think soft drinks, energy drinks and chocolate or candy.